Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sadness Prevails

Happy Ramadan all you observing Muslims out there, today was the 3rd Ramadan - 1428 Hijri, in Pakistan. Another half an hour to Iftari and another day gone, mercifully rather quickly. Its Sunday and as usual I'm confined to my room, sitting in my bed, stuck to my laptop, playing with everything that can be played with via the internet.

I miss my mom's Iftari, or even the one I used to make myself last year. Now thanks to a busted fridge, a flatmate you hate (and vice versa), no car, and no friends who would like to break their fast with you, my definition of Iftari has come down to dates, water, a pack of lays and uhmm a peach (till stocks last). Then i'll pray, sleep and wake up and order a 6" Subway I guess *sigh* The stuff above accumulated over a few chance visits to the proximity of grocery stores. Karachi is not a place where you can walk to your nearest shop alone, on foot. Its too damn unfriendly for that. I know I wouldn't have hung on if not for a job I really really really like and uhmm yea thats about it.

As for the flatmate we used to be on good enough terms till about 2 months ago, thats when all hell broke lose, had an argument with my flatmate, and sadly she stooped to the level of verbal violence that I can never even imagine stooping to in about a six hundred billion years. The reason?! Me not helping her with getting the fridge fixed. Hell, I didn't want to tell her I was so depressed I couldn't even find the energy to feed myself 5 days outta 7 in a week let alone be bothered about whether the fridge is working or not. Again, my work life is great, its just my personal one thats screwed up! Last year I made both of us sehri and iftari, since my flatmate's culinary skills are very limited, and for some reason NEVER rubbed it in, but my flatmate makes a point of hurling at me, everything that she has done and I haven't ... and oh of course since she moved to Karachi first and had already bought the fridge and the TV and the microwave and such, its obviously 'hers' hence now off-limits to me.

The silver lining? Well I'm praying more regularly, more regularly than I have in more than a year, I hope I stick to it. I'm working and uhmm updating my blog, if that counts as a silver lining.

Adios all, 10 mins to go, I'll go wash my dates and slice my peach.

For those who find some terms up there unfamiliar:

Sehri: the meal taken before the fast. It must be taken before dawn.
Iftari: the meal taken when the fast is broken. Taken at sundown.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Up for a trip to Finland anytime soon? :D

jay said...

but aren't u in sweden?

Unknown said...

Finland's a boat trip away!

Umair Azfar Khan said...

I didn't know that you were a regular blogger... i think that my videos are common knowledge in the blogging lot now... sigh!

Oh! is basim a b12 guy? if he is, always welcome to my place, yes its in Finland, Helsinki. If you want to make a trip, always welcome.

Time to take out and do some html editing on my blog? Who will play all those games then? Also, I didn't get the penguin part this time.

btw, if you are depressed, you can always talk to me about stuff... I am really good at it you know, just drop in a mail and i will make sure that you get some good advice.

as for your room mate, ignoring is the best option. always get the stuff that you need.. if you want a fridge, get a small one that u can keep in your room and a microwave too. do not worry about money... all will be recovered by using that stuff. you earn to make your life easier so use it.

Umair Azfar Khan said...

Haha, I aint that narrow minded to be offended by a penguin joke :) I look more like one now that I have gained more weight.

Well, if you ever are coming to Finland, you are always welcome, the best thing being that you will roam around the entire city free and with great company.

Depression becomes a part of life when your life has been too stagnant. Take a break, go to some hiking trip in murree or just visit home. I know that the loneliness is at its maximum during ramazan when you start asking yourself as to why you grew up.. wasnt it much better when mom used to wake you up in the morning so that u can have sehri. no worries, no cooking, no washing dishes.. sigh!

I was just wondering that why don't you try for an MBA from LUMS? it will be a nice change. It was a nice change for me when i started studying after a few years of work. lifts your mood, relaxes you and you feel like your life is moving forward (Don't you feel the stagnation in your work life? I get depressed just because of the unbearable mechanical routine... maybe that is a reason). use the money that you have saved for your MBA... that is what i will recommend (plus it will be closer to home)

Anyway, if you feel like it, you can always discuss such stuff with me and trust me, you won't be the first one. i am almost in your age group and have had more experience in such matters, and you already know that all the suggestions will be sincere.

Umair Azfar Khan said...

Wow! big plans, its nice to know that you are looking forward to newer and better things. Keep it up! As for hairstyle, I am losing hair (yes, old age woes) so now I can just keep the hairstyle that I have and try looking better in it.

I am a TVaholic when it comes to passing time when I get home. 24, Battlestar Galactica, Heroes, Dexter, Veronica Mars, The Office, Stargate Atlantis and the list goes on! Then there are games, that me and my friends play and if nothing else, a trip to the cinema always helps. I am also going to do some paintballing this weekend.

enjoy your trip to cairo. take a camera along, take pictures and blog about it later. That is always fun